The Northwestern University Health Service is able to assist with medically necessary transport for urgent medical needs.
- This service is available to students who need urgent care at the Health Service, the Evanston Hospital Emergency Room, or the Northwestern Medical Immediate Care clinic.
- This service is limited to Northwestern University students who live on campus or in Evanston and who are otherwise unable to get to the care facility due to illness or injury.
- This service is not available for routine or non-urgent medical care.
- The service is provided through American Taxi (847 255-9614) at no cost to the student.
Students who are acutely and severely ill or injured and those with a life-threatening emergency should call 911 and request an ambulance.
During regular business hours when the Health Service is open for patient care:
- Call the appointment desk at 847/491-2204 to discuss your medical problem with the physician or nurse on call.
- If medical transport is authorized, you will be provided a voucher for transport by American Taxi.
- The voucher will be provided either directly or by email.
- If return transport is necessary, a second voucher is necessary and will be provided.
After regular business hours when the Health Service is closed:
- Call the Health Service at 847 491-8100 and have the answering service connect you to the physician on call.
- If transport is authorized by the on call physician, you will need to call American Taxi (847 255-9614) to arrange for your transport.
- Present your NU WildCARD to the taxi driver.
- Tell the driver that you are a Northwestern Student and the cost of the transport is to be billed to the NU Health Service corporate account.
Unauthorized use of American Taxi will result in charges being billed to the student tuition account.