Northwestern University
Health Service - Evanston Health Service home
Northwestern home
About NUHS
 Health Service - Evanston
Emergency/After Hours
Contact Us
Personal Health Portal

Who Can Use NUHS?


You are eligible to use the Northwestern University Health Service (NUHS) if:

You are a “regular” student

  • You are a registered student in the Student Enterprise System , or
  • You have adequate proof (e.g., a letter or list from the appropriate Dean) indicating that you are currently engaged—not simply present on campus—in academic or University activities).
    • Example: Freshman student/athletes who begin practice in August before the academic year begins.
  • Eligibility is not based on distinctions between part-time, half-time, or full-time status, with the exception for students in the School of Continuing Studies (SCS), below.
  • Eligible regular students may use NUHS throughout the current academic year (September 1st through August 31st).
  • Graduating students who have taken at least one class during the current academic year are eligible to use NUHS during the summer term immediately following graduation.
  • For the majority of new students, eligibility will begin on June 1st for Summer starts and September 1st for Fall starts.

You are a School of Continuing Studies (SCS) student

  • SCS students must be currently enrolled in two or more classes in a degree-seeking program, and are required to pay a quarterly Clinic Use Fee.

You are a Theological Seminary student

  • Students from Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary may access NUHS health services by paying a quarterly Clinic Use Fee.

You are a student on formal leave from the University

  • Students that go on formal leave from the University after the beginning of the academic year are eligible to use NUHS services as a “regular” student, above.
  • Students on formal leave from the University prior to the beginning of the academic year may use NUHS services if they present an official letter approving such leave and they pay a quarterly Clinic Use Fee.

Additional Important Information

  • Eligibility to use NUHS services is independent of health care insurance; it does not matter whether one’s healthcare insurance is obtained through the University-sponsored Aetna Student Health Plan or through other healthcare insurers.
  • The Insurance Office (847-491-2113) on the Evanston Campus can provide more information and verify eligibility.
  • Please refer to the Medical Services or Support Services Web pages for more specific information on the scope of available NUHS healthcare services.